Summer is finally here and you’ve worked hard to make your face glow and are actively protecting against sun exposure to the rest of your skin, but is your body swimsuit ready? Many of our patients are surprised to find out that in addition to medical and cosmetic dermatology, we also perform liposuction in office using the tumescent technique, which allows for the procedure to take place without the need for general anesthesia.
Sometimes diet and exercise alone aren’t enough to combat fatty deposits, but we’re here to help. Read on to find out more about this procedure and why you should choose Dr. Northington and staff at Aesthetic Dermatology to perform it.
What Happens during Tumescent Liposuction
The process of tumescent liposuction involves injecting a solution comprised of lidocaine and epinephrine into subcutaneous fat in the body. This causes the areas to become tumescent, which means swollen and firm. Lidocaine, the local anesthetic found in the solution, is so effective in this procedure that it eliminates the need for a patient to go under general anesthesia. The epinephrine helps to decrease surgical bleeding, a common problem associated with traditional liposuction techniques. Once this solution is administered, a few small incisions are made and an instrument called a cannula is used to remove fatty deposits.
Patients are awake for the entire procedure and able to communicate with doctors and staff, if need be. The procedure is also available over a wide range of areas from chin, neck, tummy, butt, thighs, and to knees, tumescent liposuction can be performed in many of the same areas as “traditional” lipo.
There are a variety of reasons why a patient would choose to visit Dr. Northington at Aesthetic Dermatology to receive this procedure, but most notable among those who choose this over traditional surgical liposuction is the reduction in downtime. Patients can often return to work within 1-2 days post-procedure, though they are required to wear a compression garment continuously for 1-2 weeks, or per your specific instructions received. The procedure is done in office and lasts between 30 minutes and 2 hours, depending upon the areas being targeted.
Other Great Reasons to get Tumescent Liposuction for Stubborn Problem Areas:
- A shorter recovery time with less aches and pains than associated with typical procedures
- A generally safer option for liposuction as it eliminates the need for IV sedation and the risks that accompany it
- The small 3 mm diameter of the cannula used in the procedure eliminates the need for stitches and allows entry points to close naturally and begin the healing process within the first 48 hours after it is performed.
- The swollen tissue that is created when the lidocaine solution is injected allows us to sculpt with more precision and with less blood loss and trauma than traditional liposuction.
Aesthetic Dermatology: Leader in Dermatology and Liposuction in Alabama
Aesthetic Dermatology is the brainchild of Drs. Northington, Henderson, and Bourgeois, all skilled board certified dermatologists who have been operating and thriving in Alabama for over ten years. Dr. Marian Northington joined Aesthetic Dermatology to bring her expertise and experience as director of the UAB Cosmetic Dermatology division for over a decade, and with that she has brought her expertise on liposuction. As a practice, we are determined to set the standard for cosmetic dermatology in the state of Alabama and offer cosmetic procedures like no others in the area.
Here are some other reasons why Aesthetic Dermatology is a leader in dermatology for tumescent liposuction:
- Dr. Northington has studied under one of the top cosmetic dermatologists and laser surgeons, Dr. Richard Fitzpatrick, and used the information learned under his guidance to craft her skills in cosmetic dermatology, including liposuction.
- Because we perform this procedure in office, costs are typically lower than they would be in an operating room.
- There are no added fees for an anesthesiologist, because we use only local anesthesia to perform tumescent liposuction.
As dermatologists, we have an inherent understanding of skin and its layers, and how they’ll respond to such procedures, which makes us a great choice when looking for a liposuction provider in the Birmingham area.
Ready to Schedule Your Appointment?
Now that you know more about tumescent liposuction and how we can assist you in reaching your body’s goals using this procedure, please reach out with any questions you may have! Dr. Northington and staff at Aesthetic Dermatology are ready to assist you and help you get the shape you desire. Please call our Birmingham office at (205) 588-7000 to schedule your tumescent liposuction consultation, or to find out more about other services we offer.