When asked about the secret to ageless Hollywood beauty, we believe Christie Brinkley said it best when she answered “a good dermatologist”.
Forever-young celebrities such as Jennifer Lopez and Jennifer Aniston swear they’ve never had surgery and we believe them – these days, they don’t have to!
As anti-aging procedures become increasingly less invasive and more effective, people no longer have to go under the knife to see visible results.
What’s more: the results patients get with these non-invasive anti-aging treatments look completely natural, so you look noticeably better without that “had something done” look.
As actress Amanda Peet said when discussing cosmetic procedures, “I want the thing that makes me look younger, not the thing that makes me look like I did the thing.”
We hear you!
Our patients come to us because they trust our expertise. They know we’ll be able to recommend the treatments that work best for your unique situation, and administer them optimally to achieve your desired results.
Before making an appointment to speak with us about anti-aging treatments, you might want to gain a better understanding about some of your options.
In this blog post, we’ll be educating you on the basics of six of the most popular and buzzed-about anti-aging treatments: Ultherapy, Fraxel, VBeam, Sculptra, Botox, and Kybella.
For each treatment, we will cover the following common questions from patients who are exploring their anti-aging options:
1. Which skin conditions does the treatment address?
2. What can a patient expect when they come in for a treatment?
3. How long does the procedure take?
4. How long do the effects of the treatment last?
5. What is the average price range for this treatment?
Once you’re more familiar with these procedures, give us a call at (205) 588-7000 or make an appointment online to consult with Dr. Northington. She will examine your skin and learn about your goals in order to make specific treatment recommendations designed to work for you!
Celebrities such as Jennifer Aniston are known to be big fans of Ultherapy, which uses ultrasound technology to lift and tighten your skin by stimulating collagen production.
1. Which skin conditions does Ultherapy address? It is the most effective non-surgical tightening procedure to address loose skin on your neck, jawline, and around the eyes. This treatment is ideal for patients over 30 who are looking to achieve firmer, more youthful skin – without the invasiveness of surgery.
2. What can a patient expect when they come in for a treatment? Once we cleanse your skin and identify the areas to be treated, the smooth treatment applicator is pressed against your skin to deliver collagen-stimulating ultrasound energy beneath the skin’s surface.
3. How long does the procedure take? An Ultherapy session takes about an hour, depending on how many and which areas you are getting treated.
4. How long do the effects of the treatment last? While the effects of the treatment can last for up to two years, we recommend maintaining results by treating your skin with Ultherapy once per year.
5. What is the average price range for Ultherapy? The price ranges from $1,500 – $3,500, depending on the extent of the treatment. You will receive a precise estimate once you consult with Dr. Northington during your appointment.
Fraxel is the most effective non-ablative laser resurfacing procedure. It works by delivering controlled micro-injury to the skin to stimulate targeted collagen production.
Kim Kardashian has been outspoken about her love for the treatment, crediting Fraxel as her go-to procedure for evening out her complexion and erasing stretch marks.
Because it is a non-ablative laser resurfacing procedure, it is less invasive and gentler on the skin than traditional, ablative laser treatments – which involve wounding your skin to shed its outer layers. With Fraxel, you get the same dramatic results, with no recovery time or side effects!
1. Which skin conditions does Fraxel address? It is an outstanding procedure to eliminate signs of aging such as wrinkles, brown spots, and sun damage. Fraxel also shrinks pores and dramatically improves scars such as acne scars and stretch marks.
2. What can a patient expect when they come in for a treatment? After applying a numbing cream, we pass the laser wand over the areas you are looking to treat.
3. How long does the procedure take? The numbing cream is applied for an hour before the treatment, which takes around 20 minutes.
4. How long do the effects of the treatment last? Fraxel results last for about a year and should be maintained with annual treatments.
5. What is the average price range for Fraxel? This treatment costs around $1,000, depending on how many and which areas you target. A precise estimate can be provided upon consultation with Dr. Northington.
VBeam is a laser treatment that addresses vascular conditions, i.e. those that involve your blood vessels and manifest as redness on the skin.
1. Which skin conditions does VBeam address? This laser specializes in clearing up skin redness in the form of rosacea, broken blood vessels, angiomas, port wine stains and redness from sun damage.
2. What can a patient expect when they come in for a treatment? We apply the VBeam laser to the treatment areas, targeting problematic blood vessels so that they can be absorbed and naturally eliminated from your body.
3. How long does the procedure take? A VBeam session typically takes around 15-30 minutes, depending on how many areas you are treating.
4. How long do the effects of the treatment last? Most patients wait about 6 to 12 months in between touch ups. How often you will need the treatment depends on your compliance with our sun avoidance and sun protection recommendations.
5. What is the average price range for VBeam? This procedure costs around $300, depending on the extent of your treatment. Dr. Northington will provide a precise estimate during your appointment.
Sculptra is a filler treatment that stimulates the skin to produce new collagen, in order to recreate a more youthful face shape.
1. Which skin conditions does Sculptra address? This treatment is excellent for correcting wrinkles around the mouth and chin area.
2. What can a patient expect when they come in for a treatment? After identifying the injection areas that will result in optimal facial contours, the treatment is administered and the product is massaged into your skin.
3. How long does the procedure take? A Sculptra procedure typically takes around 30 minutes, depending on the extent of your treatment.
4. How long do the effects of the treatment last? Results last for about 2 years.
5. What is the average price range for Sculptra? The cost ranges from about $700 – $1,400 per treatment, the number of treatments required depends on your skin’s unique situation and your anti-aging goals, as determined during your appointment.
Botox eliminates facial wrinkles that appear as a result of muscle movement (i.e. those that are made deeper by frowning or squinting), to create a more rested, youthful appearance.
1. Which skin conditions does Botox address? Frown lines that appear between your eyebrows and crow’s feet that appear by eyes are corrected by temporarily restricting underlying muscle activity in these areas.
2. What can a patient expect when they come in for a treatment? After identifying the target treatment areas, these areas are injected with the product – results usually show up in the first 72 hours following the procedure.
3. How long does the procedure take? The procedure itself takes about 10 minutes.
4. How long do the effects of the treatment last? The results last for around 4 months, so most patients will come in about 3 times per year.
5. What is the average price range for Botox? The cost ranges from about $300 – $700, depending on how many areas you are getting treated. Dr. Northington will provide a precise cost estimate when you come in for an appointment.
Khloe Kardashian credits Kybella as the treatment that got rid of her double chin for good, after weight loss alone was not able to address this one stubborn pocket of fat.
She recently became a spokesperson for Kybella’s “Chin Up” campaign, saying about this procedure and cosmetic treatments in general: “I wish injectables were treated more like makeup. I’m allowed to contour my face, I have nose contour and cheek contour on, highlighter on, I’m overdrawing my lips, and nobody really says that’s crazy. I don’t understand why. I just really hope stuff like this becomes treated like makeup.
1. Which skin conditions does Kybella address? This treatment permanently eliminates unwanted neck fat and also results in tighter skin below the chin – for a more sculpted general appearance and profile.
2. What can a patient expect when they come in for a treatment? After identifying the target treatment areas, these areas will be injected with Botox.
3. How long does the procedure take? One treatment takes about 10 – 20 minutes.
4. How long do the effects of the treatment last? The effects are permanent once you have completed your treatment plan. Most people need about 2-3 treatments, spaced out with 6 weeks in between.
5. What is the average price range for Kybella? One treatment costs $1,500, and the total cost dependent on how many treatments are needed.
Any Questions? Ready to Schedule a Consultation with Dr. Northington?
Give us a call at (205) 588-7000 or fill out our online appointment form. We are happy to answer any lingering questions you might have about these treatments, and set you up for your appointment with Dr. Northington!
Also, be sure to follow us on social media to stay on the loop about promotions on these and other treatments, plus news about future events, skin care tips, and more!