Psoriasis Treatment in Birmingham, AL
Psoriasis is a rash caused by areas fast growing skin cells giving the areas a red and scaly or rough appearance. Psoriasis treatment at Dermatologists of Birmingham has helped many children and adults in Birmingham, Alabaster and surrounding areas in Alabama manage and control their psoriasis.
What is Psoriasis?
Normal skin cells take several weeks to grow before sloughing off, but skin cells in areas with psoriasis grow faster and build up into red and scaly or rough plaques. Psoriasis is caused by certain overactive aspects of our immune system triggering these fast growing skin cells. While there are genetic influences to developing psoriasis, it is not caused by any lifestyle activity or diet, though these can influence the severity of psoriasis. Psoriasis can occur at any age, is chronic, but can resolve over time.
Our dermatologists provide a proper diagnosis of psoriasis, including the type of psoriasis. A person may have:
- Plaque psoriasis, also known as psoriasis vulgaris (most common type)
- Pustular psoriasis
- Guttate psoriasis (common in young adults following certain infections)
- Erythrodermic psoriasis, also known as exfoliative psoriasis (involving almost the whole body)
- Inverse psoriasis, also known as intertriginous or flexural psoriasis (involving the folded areas of the body including armpits and groin)
You may have more than one type of psoriasis.
Benefits of Psoriasis Treatment
The goals of psoriasis treatment are:
- Potentially clear the skin for better appearance and improved self esteem
- Reducing skin symptoms, such as itching, pain and discomfort
How Do I Know If I Have Psoriasis?
The most common signs of psoriasis are:
- Large, red areas with a thick scale on top (plaque psoriasis) which can be on any area of the body. Scalp, elbows and knees are common locations
- Similar but smaller lesions scattered widely across the body (guttate psoriasis)
- Pus-filled bumps are less common and sometimes occur after taking systemic steroids (pustular psoriasis)
What to Expect from Psoriasis Treatment
There are many conservative and aggressive medications to treat all types of psoriasis. No treatment will cure psoriasis, so long term treatment is necessary. Mild or limited cases can improve with topical medications or ultraviolet light therapy. More severe cases of psoriasis need systemic treatments including various pills or biologics to turn down the overactive part of the immune system. If your psoriasis was triggered by a medical condition or medication, your dermatologist may recommend that you first work with your primary physician to manage these aspects of your care.
How Much Does Psoriasis Treatment Cost in Birmingham?
Psoriasis is a condition that requires medical management to maintain a quality of life and prevent complications. Your insurance may cover the cost under specialty care. You may have some out-of-pocket expenses that can be paid by cash, checks, major credit cards and our financing options.
Psoriasis greatly diminishes your confidence because the people around you do not understand the nature of the condition. If you are interested in psoriasis treatment, we invite you to meet with one of our dermatologists. Contact us today to schedule your personal consultation.
*Individual results may vary. The content on this website is for informational purposes only and does not replace the advice of a qualified physician.