Psoriasis Treatment in Birmingham, AL
Psoriasis is caused by an overgrowth of skin cells, and the condition gives the skin a scaly or rough appearance. Psoriasis treatment at Dermatologists of Birmingham has helped children and adults in Birmingham, Alabaster and surrounding areas in Alabama better manage their psoriasis.
What is Psoriasis?
Normal skin cells take several weeks to grow, but people with psoriasis develop new skin cells within a few days. The cells develop so quickly that they build up on the skin. The condition is not contagious.
Our dermatologists provide a proper diagnosis of psoriasis, including the type of psoriasis. A person may have:
- Pustular psoriasis
- Guttate psoriasis
- Plaque psoriasis, also known as psoriasis vulgaris
- Erythrodermic psoriasis, also known as exfoliative psoriasis
- Inverse psoriasis, also known as intertriginous or flexural psoriasis
You may have more than one type of psoriasis.
Benefits of Psoriasis Treatment
The goals of psoriasis treatment are:
- Potentially clear the skin
- Reducing skin symptoms, such as prominent red spots, skin plaque, itching and brittle nails
- Minimizing episodes of fever, poor appetite, fatigue, increased pulse and other secondary physical symptoms caused by psoriasis
How Do I Know If I Have Psoriasis?
We still do not understand the specific mechanism of psoriasis, but we do know some common risk factors, such as:
- Being 15 to 30 years old or 50 to 60 years old
- Having a family history of psoriasis and experiencing a trigger that causes a flare-up
The most common signs of psoriasis are:
- Thick, dry build of skin cells, known as plaque
- Small red spots on the face and body
- Pus-filled bumps
- Smooth patches of red skin
- Deep reddening of the skin, similar to a severe sunburn
What to Expect from Psoriasis Treatment
If your psoriasis was triggered by a medical condition or medication, your dermatologist may recommend that you first work with your primary physician to manage these aspects of your care. Our dermatologists will recommend complementary options to reduce the symptoms of your psoriasis.
How Much Does Psoriasis Treatment Cost in Birmingham?
Psoriasis is a condition that requires medical management to maintain a quality of life and prevent complications. Your insurance may cover the cost under specialty care. You may have some out-of-pocket expenses that can be paid by cash, checks, major credit cards and our financing options.
Psoriasis greatly diminishes your confidence because the people around you do not understand the nature of the condition. If you are interested in psoriasis treatment, we invite you to meet with one of our dermatologists. Contact us today to schedule your personal consultation.
*Individual results may vary. The content on this website is for informational purposes only and does not replace the advice of a qualified physician.