Rosacea Treatment in Birmingham, AL
Rosacea is a common skin condition that develops as a red rash on the face. Although the condition cannot be cured, we can help you manage the symptoms with rosacea treatment. Dermatologists of Birmingham offers rosacea treatment for patients of all ages who live in Birmingham, Alabaster and surrounding areas in Alabama.
What is Rosacea?
- Rosacea is characterized by red bumps, pustules, redness, frequent flushing and dilated blood vessels (telangiectasias) on the face. Some may have only one of these components or all of them. The exact cause of rosacea remains unknown, but the medical community has found some common links with past sun damage and factors that cause facial flushing. As part of our patient education, we may describe the type of rosacea you have, which include:
- Papulopustular rosacea that causes breakouts that have a similar appearance as acne. This type of rosacea is most common
- Phymatous rosacea that thickens the skin and gives it a rough, bumpy appearance, especially common on the nose in men (rhinophyma)
- Erythematotelangiectatic rosacea with visible blood vessels below the skin, as well as redness and flushing
- Ocular rosacea that affects the eyelid margins causing eye discomfort and redness
Benefits of Rosacea Treatment
Because rosacea cannot be cured, the goal of treatment is to manage your symptoms. All treatments are intended to reducing the severity and frequency of your rosacea episodes. With good control of rosacea, self esteem improves with healthier looking skin.
How Do I Know If I Have Rosacea?
Each type of rosacea causes unique symptoms. Some of the most common signs of rosacea are:
- Acne-like breakouts combined with generalized skin redness
- Easy flushing of the face, sometimes set off by consuming alcohol, spicy foods, chocolate or exposure to heat
- spider veins on face
- Sensitive and/or inflamed skin
- Skin thickening and bumpy texture
- Eye redness, stinging and irritation
What to Expect from Rosacea Treatment
After your dermatologist examines your skin and diagnoses the condition of rosacea, you will be offered several treatment options, such as:
- Prescription topical medications to be used everyday
- Oral antibiotics for more severe or difficult to treat cases
- Laser treatments with Vbeam to alleviate visible blood vessels
Lifestyle changes will also be necessary, as most rosacea outbreaks are associated with stress and other factors that you can control.
How Much Does Rosacea Treatment Cost in Birmingham?
Dermatologists of Birmingham is staffed with experienced dermatologists who have completed specialized training, so your insurance may cover a portion of the cost. After your consultation for rosacea treatment, we explain your estimated out-of-pocket expenses and our payment options of cash, checks, major credit cards and financing.
Rosacea affects your quality of life, both physically and socially. If you are interested in rosacea treatment, entrust your care to the professional and compassionate staff of Dermatologists of Birmingham. Contact us today to schedule your personal consultation.
*Individual results may vary. The content on this website is for informational purposes only and does not replace the advice of a qualified physician.