Rosacea Treatment in Birmingham, AL
Rosacea is a common skin condition that develops as a red rash on the face and body. Although the condition cannot be cured, we can help you learn how to better manage the symptoms with rosacea treatment. Dermatologists of Birmingham offers rosacea treatment for patients of all ages who live in Birmingham, Alabaster and surrounding areas in Alabama.
What is Rosacea?
The exact cause of rosacea remains unknown, but the medical community has found some common links between risk factors and the red rash. Rosacea causes the skin to flush, and over time, the redness spreads to neighboring skin.
As part of our patient education, we describe the type of rosacea you have, which may include:
- Phymatous rosacea that thickens the skin and gives it a rough, bumpy appearance
- Erythematotelangiectatic rosacea that causes visible blood vessels below the skin, as well as redness and flushing
- Ocular rosacea that affects the eyelids and eyes
- Papulopustular rosacea that causes breakouts that have a similar appearance as acne
Benefits of Rosacea Treatment
Because rosacea cannot be cured, the goal of treatment is to manage your symptoms. This may include reducing the severity and frequency of your rosacea episodes.
How Do I Know If I Have Rosacea?
Each type of rosacea causes unique symptoms. Some of the most common signs of rosacea are:
- A large cluster of spider veins on face
- Sensitive and/or inflamed skin
- Acne-like breakouts combined with generalized skin redness
- Skin thickening
- Skin with a bumpy texture
- Vision problems, such as light sensitivity, abnormal growths, stinging and irritation
What to Expect from Rosacea Treatment
After your dermatologist examines your skin and diagnoses the condition of rosacea, you will be offered several treatment options, such as:
- Topical medications to calm the skin
- Antibiotics to help with any skin infections
- Laser treatments to alleviate visible blood vessels
- Procedures to remove the thickened skin
Lifestyle changes will also be necessary, as most rosacea outbreaks are associated with stress and other factors that you can control.
How Much Does Rosacea Treatment Cost in Birmingham?
Dermatologists of Birmingham is staffed with experienced dermatologists who have completed specialized training, so your insurance may cover a portion of the cost. After your consultation for rosacea treatment, we explain your estimated out-of-pocket expenses and our payment options of cash, checks, major credit cards and financing.
Rosacea affects your quality of life, both physically and socially. If you are interested in rosacea treatment, entrust your care to the professional and compassionate staff of Dermatologists of Birmingham. Contact us today to schedule your personal consultation.
*Individual results may vary. The content on this website is for informational purposes only and does not replace the advice of a qualified physician.