Wart Removal in Birmingham, AL
Warts are one of the most embarrassing skin conditions because the growths are often visible and unsightly. Warts are caused by a virus, so medical attention is needed to effectively and safely remove warts. Dermatologists of Birmingham offers wart removal for children and adults in Birmingham, Alabaster and surrounding areas in Alabama.
What is a Wart?
A wart is a non-cancerous, benign growth that appears on the surface of the skin. Warts develop when human papillomavirus, or HPV, penetrates the outermost layer of skin. Because HPV is involved, warts are contagious and ubiquitous in the general population. Children and adolescents contract warts more often than adults because adults often have immunity from previous infections at a younger age.
Benefits of Wart Removal
Wart removal is not necessary in all cases. Warts will resolve over time without treatment, though often it takes years or a decade or more. Some people prefer to remove their warts for the following reasons:
- Improving the aesthetics of the affected area
- Reducing the chances of passing warts to other people
- Reducing any discomfort caused by the wart
How Do I Know If I Have a Wart?
Warts have a distinctive appearance, so you may be able to tell if an abnormal growth is a wart. Check the growth for:
- A rough texture, although some warts are smooth
- May be the same color as your skin, greyish black or brown
Warts tend to appear in locations where you have damaged or injured the skin.
Warts are categorized as:
- Common (verruca vulgaris) can occur on any location including hands and fingers
- Foot warts (plantar warts) are similar to common warts but on the soles of the feet
- Flat warts are much smaller but spread easily from shaving or skin trauma
- Filiform warts that have a long, slender appearance and may develop around the nose, mouth and eyes
What to Expect from Wart Removal
Our qualified dermatologists can diagnose warts upon visual inspection. In rare cases, the wart may be biopsied. Treatment may include:
- Cryosurgery to freeze away the infected tissue.
- Immunotherapy by injecting warts with Candida Antigen or MMP vaccine to induce clearance by the immune system
- Topical agents such as over the counter salicylic acid
How Much Does Wart Removal Cost in Birmingham?
Medical insurances typically cover the cost of wart removal by a qualified dermatologist, but each policy is unique. After your consultation, we will review your coverage and out-of-pocket expenses. We offer several payment options, including cash, checks, major credit cards and financing.
Warts can be simple cosmetic concerns or painful growths. The virus that causes warts means that these growths can be passed on to other people, so you may want to consider wart removal. If you have a wart or abnormal growth on your skin, contact us today to schedule your personal consultation.
*Individual results may vary. The content on this website is for informational purposes only and does not replace the advice of a qualified physician.